4.16.2012

Veg Out Detox: Take I - Strawberry & Grapefruit Salad with Mint

Pin It I can't help but think of what a great barbecue side dish tonight's dinner would be.  Speaking of...what happened to the nice weather?  Feels like February all over again, and the dreary weather is supposed to continue through out the week. Blah. Sounds like someones got a case of the Mondays.  Well, I certainly do.  Anyway, as I mentioned, after  last week's heavy (but delicious) eating, it is time to veg out.  Veg out we did, with tonight's light and refreshing, Strawberry & Grapefruit Salad with Mint.  The mint and the vinaigrette give it the perfect amount of zip.  This salad would be great with any fruit combination, any nut topping, or topped with a nice goat or feta cheese.  As with most throw together dishes, almost any combination will do.  I think this will be the first post of a few good detoxifying salads and we need it!
For April, the strawberries have been surprisingly good, and on sale!  This weekend I plan on going to a farmer's market and start getting more into cooking with what's in season.  In addition, it looks like I just found a great web site about eating organic and sustainable in Brussels.  Might be useful for my Brussels friends: Click here to go to tebiki.be, "An English Guide to a Sustainable Life in Brussels."  This could have been useful a long time ago!
 
Strawberry & Grapefruit Salad with Mint
Adapted from kraft foods

Ingredients:

Salad:
2 c washed and dried baby spinach (or your choice of greens) 
1  1/2 c strawberries, washed and sliced
1 grapefruit, sectioned and peeled 
1/2 c almonds toasted
2 Tbs freshly chopped mint leaves

Raspberry Vinaigrette:
1 clove garlic diced
1/4 c raspberry vinegar
1/8 c olive oil
1/8 c water
1/4 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
and a squeeze of lemon if you are feeling zesty (I normally am)

Directions:
Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a glass jar and shake.  Set aside.  In a large bowl, mix the spinach, strawberries, grapefruit sections and mint.  Pour vinaigrette over salad.  Top with toasted almonds.  Serve immediately.

Bon Appétit! 
I just love the raspberry vinaigrette!  Who knew it is so easy to make fast, healthy salad dressings at home?  I will definitely be using this vinaigrette when I make my all time favorite goat cheese salad (a new favorite I never knew I liked until moving to Belgium!).  Do you have any great detoxifying salad recipes?  I am on the hunt! 

Pin It

No comments: