3.04.2012

Pico Scramblers topped with Avocado

Pin It One of my favorite ways to jazz up scrambled eggs is to throw in some fresh pico de gallo. It adds a burst of summery flavor. Though it's not even close to summer, sadly, I did find some pretty good looking tomatoes at the grocery store the other day. Perfect for some home made pico. Can't wait until we have our own red, juicy tomatoes growing on the back porch.. about 5 months and counting.

Start with some fresh tomatoes, garlic, lime, a bit of EVOO, cilantro (and some green onions I forgot to picture, don't forget to add those to the pico.. it is a must!).


Pico De Gallo

Ingredients:

3 Tomatoes
1/2 of lime, juiced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbs Olive Oil
2 Green Onions, chopped
8 leaves of Cilantro, roughly chopped
Salt and Pepper
Optional: chili pepper

Directions:

Dice the tomatoes and set in a small bowl.  Mix in minced garlic, juice of half of a lime, olive oil,  chopped green onions and cilantro.  Mix.  Salt and Pepper to taste.  Add a chili pepper, if you prefer spicy pico. 

Onto the Pico scramblers with Avocado

Ingredients:

4 organic eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used Gouda, it was good)
1 recipe Pico de Gallo
3 whole wheat tortillas (1 for me, 2 for my Taste Tester)
1 avocado, diced
salt and pepper

Directions:

Begin heating tortillas in oven.  Whisk together eggs and milk.  Salt and Pepper the mixture.  Heat a medium sized greased skillet to medium heat.  Once heated, pour in the egg mixture.  Stir occasionally.  Add the red pepper and cheese.  Add in two generous spoonfuls of pico de gallo.  Cook to desired consistency.  Serve over warmed tortillas.  Top with diced avocado and extra pico.

Garnish:
Tabasco (although, these eggs must have been flavorful enough, because my Taste Tester didn't even add Tabasco, which is a first!)

Voila!
I probably would have added some black beans to this dish, if they were readily available here.  In Belgium, I need to cook them myself, which is quite time consuming... so none for me, but would be extra delish for you!  Bon Appetit!  Nom Nom!
Pin It

No comments: